The Sumo Museum was opened in September 1954 to coincide with the completion of professional sumo's new home, the Kuramae Kokugikan. Based on the materials gathered over the years by its first curator, Sakai Tadamasa, it was created to protect and preserve the rich historical heritage of Japan's national sport. In January 1985 the museum moved to its present location when tournament sumo returned to Ryogoku with the opening of the Ryogoku Kokugikan.
The major function of the museum is to gather and preserve a wide range of materials related to the history of sumo, from woodblock prints and banzuke (official listings of rank) to the ceremonial aprons worn by the great rikishi of the past. These items are then displayed in themed exhibitions held six times a year. The museum also functions as a research center, continuously studying and reviewing sumo history as an integral part of Japanese culture.
Museum Curator - Goro Ishiyama (as of February 2013)
|Location||first floor of The Ryogoku Kokugikan|
Sumida-ku, Tokyo 130-0015
|Open||10:00 AM ～ 4:30 PM
|Closed||Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays
The museum also closes on a regular basis in order to change exhibits.
(Note: During the three Grand Sumo Tournaments held in Tokyo annually the museum is open every day but only to people actually attending the tournament.)
※We do not offer tours of the Kokugikan Arena.
About long-term closing with upgrade work
We will be closed with upgrade our facilities.
Closed period(scheduled): From Oct. 1, 2019 to Jan. 10, 2020
*In the above period, we will suspend inquiries and loans about the museum materials. We hope that you will understand.
a one minute walk from the JR Sobu Line, Ryogoku Station
a five minute walk from Exit A4, the Toei Oedo Subway Line, Ryogoku Station
(Note: There are no parking facilities available.)