2020 January Grand Sumo Tournament:7th Day
2020 January Grand Sumo Tournament Banzuke Topics
- Goeido is Ozeki Kadoban again after the September tournament of last year. He has been titled Ozeki Kadoban for the 9th time.
- This is the first Sekiwake debut in a year. The previous one had been Takakeisho who was promoted in January of 2019.
- In September 2007 Asasekiryu had been the previously promoted Sekiwake debutant from Takasago Beya.
- Asanoyama the 3rd Rikishi from Toyama Prefecture to achieve this post WWII, following Kotogaume, who had been promoted in September of 1986.
- He is also the 3rd former student of Kindai University to reach this rank. The previous one had been Takarafuji in September 2016.
- This is the first time that a Sandanme-Tsukedashi has his Sekiwake debut.
- Takayasu has been demoted from Ozeki to Sekiwake, following Tochinoshin who had been demoted in the previous tournament. For the first time since Showa Era this kind of demotion happened in 3 consecutive tournaments.
- Abi stays Komusubi for the 4th consecutive tournament. The previous Rikishi who achieved this had been Kisenosato who stayed Komusubi from July 2006 until January 2007.
- As a Sanyaku debutant, Daieisho follows Asanoyama who was promoted in the previous tournament.
- He is the first Rikishi from Oitekaze Beya to achieve this since Endo who had been promoted in May 2018.
- Furthermore he is the 5th Rikishi post WWII from Saitama Prefecture, following Abi who had been promoted in July of last year.
- Kiribayama is the first Makuuchi debutant from Michinoku Beya since Hakuba, promoted in May of 2008.
- He is the 26th Mongolian Rikishi to achieve this, following Daishoho promoted last March. Furthermore he is the 49th foreigner to reach Makuuchi Division.
- Azumaryu returns to Makuuchi after 2 tournaments.
- Ikioi returns to Makuuchi after 5 tournaments. He previously held the rank in March last year.
- Tochiozan returns to Makuuchi after 2 tournaments.
- Kaisei returns to Makuuchi after 3 tournaments. He previously held the rank in July last year.
- Tokushoryu returns to Makuuchi after 4 tournaments. He previously held the rank in May last year.
- Asagyokusei returns to Juryo after 2 tournaments.
- Churanoumi returns to Juryo after 4 tournaments. He previously held the rank in May last year.
- Chiyootori returns to Juryo after 13 tournaments. He previously held the rank in November 2017.
- Terunofuji returns to Juryo after 10 tournaments. He previously held the rank in May 2018.
< Chiyootori & Terunofuji >
- The previous time a Rikishi with Sanyaku-experience being demoted to Sandanme rose back up to Juryo again had been in the September tournament of 2018. The Rikishi was Jokoryu.
- Sakigake returns to Juryo after 30 tournaments. He previously held the rank in January 2015. This is the 4th-slowest return in history.